UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
66.7 % 33.3 %
By REDSAW
Are they any good- any better than the janflow?
Also how do they work as installation, do they need a switch valve to stop boat sinking?
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 12:14 pm
janflow? Has to be a typo but I can`t figure it out mate.
Jabsco head' wondering if electric or manual pump out is better. also can it be used in a caravan then moved to a boat?
By RPM
Ah! Well electric pumps are becoming very popular on boats & caravans of that there is no doubt. They work in much the same way as their 240v cousins however being smaller and less powerful they are even less forgiving than them based on the few I`ve worked on. Wouldn`t fancy moving one around between boat and then caravan and back tbh and what happens should you loose electric for whatever reason? And unless you`re talking sea going boats then whatever way you go the waste has to go into a tank.
By REDSAW
yeah, for sea use. wondering the options.
would a 240v work on the boat with the inverter, another less thru hull then and possibility of pumping into holding tank with single contained seacock dump within tank & oneway valve?
By RPM
No way would I fit a 240v unit while you can buy 12 or 24v units, yes it would work but it would hit the batteries something rotten. Re the other stuff yes tank and seacock is common but I am out of my comfort zone to advise so suggest talking to boat builders or waste pump people such as Sanimarine (now owned by PumpTechnology, Berkshire).
There is another option which is the straight through and into tank toilet pan with the ball flap, you can flush with either clean water from a tank or from sea water.
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 7:15 pm
No way would I fit a 240v unit while you can buy 12 or 24v units, yes it would work but it would hit the batteries something rotten. Re the other stuff yes tank and seacock is common but I am out of my comfort zone to advise so suggest talking to boat builders or waste pump people such as Sanimarine (now owned by PumpTechnology, Berkshire).
There is another option which is the straight through and into tank toilet pan with the ball flap, you can flush with either clean water from a tank or from sea water.
thats the other question: can you get one that pumps salt water into a cistern by measured fill, flushes or overflows ino a holding tank then closes off if the holding tank is full?
trying to find option for say 2 flushing toilets, 2 basins & 2 shower into one tank and seacock to eliminate the need or risk of 6 thru-hulls! :)
By RPM
I know little about sea going boats however with two toilets I would have two tanks and train the crew to use one toilet first untill the tank level gauge of which there are various types shows it to be full then start using the second one until the first can be emptied.
Stainless costs more but are better and last longer than plastic tanks BTW. Also have inspection/ access hatches fitted to top of the tanks. Re refilling, mine doesn`t have a cistern as such but does fill the toilet bowl with water after use.

On all waters be it canal, rivers or sea the grey water from sinks. basins and showers is allowed to exit through the side of the hull via plastic or brass skin fittings, brass being stronger and to me looking better, just site the fitting a couple of inches below the basin exit point and connect with plastic pipe ( don`t know why but my kitchen sink has a trap with the basins being straight through). The shower has a gulper pump with the exit skin fitting at the same height as the other sink/basin fittings with the on/off switch inside the shower room (yes seperate shower room being all posh :lol: but also means nobody is banging on the door asking when you are coming out!).
By REDSAW
sounds an idea leapfrogging tanks, i thought plastic was better than stainless though!

i also estimate you have 7 thro-hull fittings on yours, 7 chances of sinking if it went beebs up :lol:
how would you minimise that with less fittings?
By RPM
1 shower outlet, 1 sink outlet and 1 basin outlet so only 3 mate however should anything go wrong there is the bilge which runs almost the full length of the boat so it`s around 35ft long x 12" wide x 14" deep channel with 2 brand new 1000 gal per mnute pumps in it set to run automatically with high water level warning buzzer and each one has it`s own skin fitting so all in all that`s 5.

I don`t see how you can minimise with less fittings tbh unless I joined the sink & basin to one, also mine has 3 large air vents which could/would let water in if things got real bad :shock: Don`t forget mine is for river/canals use which aren`t as deep waters as sea boats like yours.
By REDSAW
https://www.marinescene.co.uk/product/1 ... -1-12-quot;

my theory makes sense as 7x -inc engine is a lot of money to change all plus more risk factor to failure as like you say theres no banks to beach on 15 miles out lol.

i recon pipe all shower-sink-basin-washing machine into one hull fitting from a grey water holding tank. then the same for toilet plus 2 for engine then bilges would leave 5 required at best! thats 5 holes in the boat lol.
suprised myself actually as that link seems pretty good prices!
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Can`t comment on prices there however the link is for my local place (some good prices & some not so!) Have you thought about the macerator in the link instead of a sanimarine type?
Opps, forgot the washing m/c so that`s another skin fitting on mine :lol:

https://www.brianwards.co.uk/product/ja ... -pump-12v/
inline to the tank or at the tank?
not too keen on the manual toilet pump, seem high maintenance!

Learnt something new today, pee in poo is what makes it smell! :lol: seperate the two and you can compost the poo and send the pee straight over as its sterile lol
By RPM
Toilet > to the tank> macerator> out with those little things. Note I know nothing about them other than they are used a lot and there are chemicals you can add to the tank to break down suspended solid waste matter.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... xB8&adurl=
High maintenance?? O-rings create the seals to "push" the waste away, if handle and piston go stiff to operate then add a little oil.
I haven`t a clue about that other than it sounds like a composting system. Have you seen the cinderella burn system for waste?
By REDSAW
i am aware of the burn systen i think it uses elecricity tho? nee to read up on that when it comes to it but think there out my budget.

how come that macerator is £56 when a house ones £300 lol
By RPM
Yep the cinderella needs electricity and 2 flue`s through the roof, 1 is the exhaust and 1 is air inlet plus their special paper which you lay in the bowl before use every time! I like the idea but not the cost involved.
I`d guess because it is a cheap copy not designed to cope with 4-6L of water every time a zillion times a year. How come a 240v house one is cheaper than a 12v marine one?

BOAT - Bung another thousand at it :lol:

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]