UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
By drzygote
Hi
Im a punter who needs a second opinion please.

We had a kitchen fitted in a new house. The sink previously had a roughly 1.5m pipe going to the main stack and it had quite a visible fall on it. The fitter replaced the whole thing and has put in a pipe that has a very minimal fall on it, very hard to even see it at all. It slopes very gently down in the direction of the stack, a few degrees at the most.

I raised it as an issue and am being told that its fine, as long as it doesnt tilt towards the sink that it should be ok.

I am dubious, I can only imagine that stuff will build up in that pipe and it will eventually leak or get caked with debris.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance
By REDSAW
Hi,
The minimum fall for a 42mm pipe is 18mm per m. Maximum, 44mm per m upto 3m in length. so, in your case 27mm fall is fine!
whats more important is adequate clipping to prevent sagging where debris will collect, hence fitters suggestion.
That will be norm in all new house builds as its to code, what will give problems is folk stuffing coffee grinds rice and fats down the plug-hole!
By REDSAW
yes, it will be a regs requirement in suitable conditions but tbh no one will pursue it.
cant you raise ther sink trap?

Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this[…]

very glad I now signed up

You've made some good points there. I looked on th[…]

I just wanted to thank you yet again for that amaz[…]

very glad I finally registered

Aw, this was a very nice post. Taking a few minute[…]