UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By TURNPIN
Firstly I am not a Gas Safe engineer......and if this post needs to be in another part of the forums please move it for me......question I have is if one of the new meters that will help save the planet is fitted should a tightness test be carried out before the old meter is removed?......only someone I know had one changed then the engineer carried out theT/T and shut down and capped the meter and said to the person I know you will have to get your own engineer in to fix the leak when the new guy turned up and traced the leak and repaired it he stated as it was an old installation it fell in the permissible guidelines ?......any pointers just my own curiosity ! Ma y thanks regards Turnpin :D
By REDSAW
Yes, it happens all the time with 'meter maids'
a tightness test should always be conducted before and after working on the gas rig from meter through pipes to appliance. a local test must be used at appliance if worked on ie spray joints at the appliance supply if disturbed.
BG i think always test from meter as they have more box's to tick off!

The meter maids are only interested in swapping the meter to get paid and most of the time they are clueless when it comes to gas pipe sizing, clipping and appliance opperation.

national grid class it as 'toffo' Turn off and 'f' off- leave it to customers to sort out! that way they are assured the gas supply is left safe.
their a pain in t donkey sometimes but provide some easy work for the rest of us lol
i went to one and it was a 3mb drop- totally acceptable with external pipe-work with no smell of gas.

Having said all this, my thick nephew is a maid. he did same thing and capped off supply. the problem was found to be he left a major gas leak at the work he had done, clearly thinking he was giving the problem to the householder as per said. he got a 3 month suspension and had to re-sit supervision training lol :lol: :lol:

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]