UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
By des8686
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me diagnose what this noise could be. I'm sure it's coming from next door. I've been round and he can hear it too. It's proving difficult to isolate where the noise is coming from.

It happens like clockwork, every morning at pretty much the same time, and every 4 seconds. It goes on for a while. During this time I don't have my boiler on and I'm not using any water, and haven't done all night.

Also, I had a brand new boiler put in about 6 months ago. Next doors boiler is a Potterton Powermax HE and is 16 years old. I know this as it's the same one I got replaced.

I've attached a video with the noise

https://youtu.be/u_qSPkGDxOY

Thanks in advance.
By REDSAW
if you can rule out hot water pipes expanding/contracting after useing hot taps or emmersion off.
then it is a drip going into a waste pipe, ie, a dripping tap with a dry 'u' bend or 90deg elbow or tundish blow off pipe.

had it before and was the latter,

Also, check your roof aerial hasnt broke and swinging against the chimney :lol:
By des8686
Also, would the fact I'm hearing it first thing in the morning having not used any source of water for 8 hours plus suggest that it was infact coming from next door?

My only thought is the noise seems to be louder on the wall in-between our houses, rather than near the outside wall. It's so bizarre!
By REDSAW
ask next door if its possible to shut down their boiler one night so no hot water or heat cycling occurs and check then.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]