UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
By sunnybob
I've spent most of my 50 years working life with pipes, and every thread whether hand cut or machine made was tapered.
This last couple years everything I have bought is straight thread. Its a nightmare trying to make a straight thread joint waterproof.
Here in cyprus the most common water connecter is black polyethylene with compression nuts. Fine. But as soon as I try to connect to a brass fitting, the brass is straight thread and the plastic goes all the way in and bottoms out before coming tight. I'm actually having top hacksaw the thread shorter so I can get the fittings in the right position. And brass to brass just immediately runs all the way in by hand.

Whats going on?
By sunnybob
I was a gas fitting apprentice in the 1960's. worked with gas and water right up till I retired. Back then EVERY pipe fitting was tapered, iron, galvanised, brass, even copper.
I truly see no reason for a parallel thread unless its a compression fitting.

Strangely, I cant get jointing paste here. Every body just uses ptfe. I even had to bring back a hank of hemp from the UK several years ago, still got some left.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]