UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
By Millie123
Good evening,

I've recently viewed a flat which I am looking to rent however come across a concern which is stopping me from going through with it. I really like the flat itself considering location and price so am wondering if there is a solution to resolve my concern.

In a nutshell, there is a water tank making a continuous flushing/hissing sound. It is located next to the master bedroom, it appears to be very old having confirmed this with the estate agent. I queried this with them as to whether it is continous but they have insisted it's not permanent however I visited the flat numerous times and the sound is always there! I wouldn't have minded if it was a slight noise however this is considerably loud and I think anyone would find it difficult to sleep or do anything in such conditions.

I have recorded a video of the water tank with sound. Unfortunately I dont know the make / model I tried to ask the estate agent but they were good as useless.

Please feel free to contact me directly I can send you the video to demonstrate the sound.

Many thanks

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Millie123
By REDSAW
hi,
its probably just the ball cok valve lettng bye that wants changing >£60 in midlands, if your down south maybe more but parts only a tenner less difficulty installing it! you can test it by taking a look in the tank and lifting the leaver with ball on it. Failing this, ask the agent to simply turn off the cold mains stopcock, this will instantly proove it the case as the noise will dissapear, also, it will prove the stopcock actually works (normally found under sink in older properties)
if your tank is black plastic then no preoblem, however if it is galvanised steel then prepare to renew it so it lasts. again around £250 around here.
make sure there is no hot taps dripping as this will slowly empty tank causing ballcock to always be slightly on causing the noise, tell them to get those re washered also. :)
By Millie123
Good Morning Redsaw,

Thanks for your reply it is much appreciated.

I have not checked the top of the tank as it sits near the ceiling but I will be going again hopefully this afternoon to have a better look.

Funny you mention turning off the main cold water tap, I tried that and miraculously it worked. The constant flushing noise fizzled out into a trickle but hardly noticeable. But then I turned the cold water main tap on again and the flushing came back. I tried using turning it off again but it didn't work the second time again so am really baffled. There is a slight leak (droplets) coming from the main water tap. As I mentioned before it looks like very old system.

I am down south, the agents do not want to know unfortunately and are not interested in rectifying this. Is there anyway I could send the video to help understand the issue?

Many thanks
By REDSAW
post here on the forum, or via photo bucket if that helps or a link!

if the agent shows no interest in property maintenance, how good will they be if your the tenant?

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]