UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

For when your troubles just won't soak away, sort out your drainage issues in here.
100 %
Hi

I have lived in my house for many years, unfortunately its been the norm to have to continually open 3 chambers to proactively flush them out. If we forget to do so then I simply have a nastier, bigger smellier job each time - say no more.

So I know what the issue is, I just haven't actually got anyone to fix it properly - nor there seems to be any definitive answer hence me posting here to get wider expert opinions.

So for two of my inspection chambers (these are all 4 inlet ones) these are connected to toilets that are 1 or 2 floors above (1 has one toilet - hits it at 90 degrees, the other 2 toilets and bath waste, one toilet hits it at 45 degrees and the other 90). When the toilet paper and waste lands in the chamber it splashes across to the other side and sits there - the unused ones are not blocked off etc. For the one chamber that is highest up (fully accessible) it also hits the top of the manhole cover too, lovely!

The other one is near where they meet with the main drain. The flow from the toilets meets it at 90 degrees and again we experience the same build up of paper over time.

I have searched and searched and I can't really find a "product" that adequately helps - which would effectively mean that the chamber routes through without splashing into the unused chambers. I've heard people block up unused ones with cement or expanding foam etc.

Note 2 chambers are actually a metre down, only one is at a "workable" height of one riser.

Thanks - just trying to work out if I've missed something obvious and get clarity on the best way forward.

Mark
theres one or two good poo-pokers around on here :lol:
hang too they will be along shortly
REDSAW wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:12 am

They stand alone in their field.....
Croppie wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 11:23 am
REDSAW wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:12 am

They stand alone in their field.....
For a reason 🤣🤣🤣

Anyway, to the original poster, can you drop some pictures?
Thanks. Here is one hopefully not too dreadful/graphic - all chambers are the same size/make.

This is the one where one toilet comes in at 6 o clock, 45 degrees. Flowing right to left (straight) is the dishwasher and kitchen sink (nothing else).

[attachment=0]96763128_815074955687186_4745740627864453120_n.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
96763128_815074955687186_4745740627864453120_n.jpg
96763128_815074955687186_4745740627864453120_n.jpg (52.26KiB)Viewed 20975 times
There shouldn't be any standing water. There must be an obstruction further down.

Are your drains shared with neighbours? If they are then it's your water boards problem to resolve.
havingdrainissues wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Hi Simon

The obstruction is the build up of toilet paper/waste that happens over time (if you read my long initial thread, it explains it)
Yeah. Read it.

Like it or not, as Simon says, you have a blockage further on down.

I would suggest having it jetted and see what happens then....
sandbag the unused outlets so they are flush then weight them down with a breeze block so they dont move, leave 3-4'' gap at back incase the 'unused ones' get used ;)
unblock the drain first though :D
REDSAW wrote:sandbag the unused outlets so they are flush then weight them down with a breeze block so they dont move, leave 3-4'' gap at back incase the 'unused ones' get used ;)
unblock the drain first though :D
I've heard people mention shuttering it then concreting, sandbagging sure sounds like a potential option to rty- especially for the ones a metre down (also expanding foam)

The blockage is the other inspection chamber that has the build up of toilet paper over time, its all clear now but it won't be in a few months.

Thanks for your replies - doesn't seem like there is any real solution available.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]