UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By Best
Just a question that has always had me puzzled.
On lever quarter turn deck mixers, - why do the majority of them come from the factory with the cartridges having the lever handles requiring you pull them forward (into the sink) to turn them off?
I always remove and reverse the hot and cold cartridges with agreement of customers to make the lever taps turn off to the left and right, same as hospital taps, with a push away from me.
By Best
REDSAW wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 12:58 pm
its so they fit into corner sinks better and helps the blind.
I never knew or had thought of that!
Still prefer them fitted the other way though.
I guess it is the way the cartridges are made for all mixers - red seal hot cartridge opens clockwise, which is proper way for vertical handles, but seems wrong on horizontal handles
By REDSAW
Best wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 4:42 pm
REDSAW wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 12:58 pm
its so they fit into corner sinks better and helps the blind.
I never knew or had thought of that!
Still prefer them fitted the other way though.
I guess it is the way the cartridges are made for all mixers - red seal hot cartridge opens clockwise, which is proper way for vertical handles, but seems wrong on horizontal handles
you ever put a cold one on the hot because thats the only one in the van? :lol:
By Best
REDSAW wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Yes!!!! I sometimes would do anything to please a customer and get away home.
I did replace a Franke cartridge with the wrong side because I had none left and the customers said they got used to the handle going backwards for a year. :lol:
I finally replaced it to correct one when doing other jobs, as they now rent the house out to tenants
I have fixed a few cartridges out of desperation using a heavy O ring to stop dripping taps.
I bought a lot of ceramic disc cartridges from Screwfix as they are only approx £6 a pair and they do match a lot of taps
By REDSAW
Best wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 1:44 pm
REDSAW wrote:

Yes!!!! I sometimes would do anything to please a customer and get away home.
I did replace a Franke cartridge with the wrong side because I had none left and the customers said they got used to the handle going backwards for a year. :lol:
I finally replaced it to correct one when doing other jobs, as they now rent the house out to tenants
I have fixed a few cartridges out of desperation using a heavy O ring to stop dripping taps.
I bought a lot of ceramic disc cartridges from Screwfix as they are only approx £6 a pair and they do match a lot of taps
thanks for the tip £6 screwfix-
double that at my merchants, although they do stock 100's of types. :D
and you cant beat the o ring lol. i really wants to know which bit causes the drip.
my uncle says he has changed ''the seals'' and thats worked- wont tell me any more though !!!!
By Best
REDSAW wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 10:42 pm
REDSAW wrote:

thanks for the tip £6 screwfix-
double that at my merchants, although they do stock 100's of types. :D
and you cant beat the o ring lol. i really wants to know which bit causes the drip.
my uncle says he has changed ''the seals'' and thats worked- wont tell me any more though !!!!
I think the ceramic works pass water if the rubber seals lose their elasticity or perish - like with the white seal washers.
As you no doubt know, some of the works have a brass washer which holds an O ring which can perish a little.
I notice on mains cold/gravity hot kitchen mixers, that the cold usually is the works that leak first. I assume that could be due to the higher pressure, rather than a microscopic piece of grit in the mains water.
There is at least one Franke sink kitchen mixer that the SF works matches. I discovered that by reading SF reviews on their ceramic works that one Franke tap they matched and it turned out to be correct.
Also fit many other taps

Wetroom/ disabled adaptive shower room fitters req[…]

Moving gas meter

hi dan, dodgy ground! the meter belongs to your ga[…]

Soil Stack

What on earth you going to do with it? https://www[…]

Ah, it was these https://www.arco.co.uk/products/1[…]