UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Put your Central Heating System question in here.
By tom p
Hi,

I recently moved into a bungalow. The central heating was not particularly well done in some areas (exposed pipes FOR CH) and since I'm doing some decorating, I stripped it all out so it can look nicer.

I have attached an image of the existing plan. It should be self explanatory.
https://ibb.co/nDmCcwb

My intention is to make is very easy for the plumber/gas engineer.
Can someone familiar with plans just make sure I've made it easy enough for a professional to come in and sort it?
E.g. do I need to take up any other boards, remove anything, drill holes etc?

Thanks.
By Best
Sure you will have to get a professional heating installer to look at the job and I assume price the job, so they will inform you of any other work you could do to help them, - like any floor boards to lift, etc.
To be totally honest, we plumbers generally just like an uncluttered property and flooring easy to lift, but not much more
By REDSAW
Are you looking at getting rid of the droppers?
is it just the lounge and bed 3 you want re-piping?
plastic or copper?
is that a concrete kitchen floor?

probably didnt need to remove so much loung floor as it be a pain stridind accross joists!
By tom p
Are you looking at getting rid of the droppers?
> I'm not sure what a dropper is. But intending to make the lounge, kitchen and third bedroom radiators simply go under the floor. Just like the other 3 rads do (in bathroom, bedroom 1 and 2, hallway).

is it just the lounge and bed 3 you want re-piping?
> that and the kitchen.

plastic or copper?
> I've heard PEX is a great way to go. But I have no clue really.

is that a concrete kitchen floor?
> It is like the rest - concrete on bottom, then suspended timber floor, then chipboard (not t&g) on top.

probably didnt need to remove so much loung floor as it be a pain stridind accross joists!
> I wanted to replace the lost head nails they used with phillips heads. In future, I'd like to insulate between the joists, but for now I'm just focusing on making the pipes look nicer.
By REDSAW
the droppers are the pipes in the ceiling.
you will need hole access from lounge to kitchen rad to thread through and pipe work in loft to cap.

all the pipes can then be routed back and tee'd into feed pipes below floor to make the circuit.
looks easy enough as is and the hardest bit bar the (hole into kitchen) is picking up the flow circuit from the hall rad where it can connect to.
By REDSAW
tom p wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 12:41 am
ok thanks a lot.

To clarify - Do I need to take the kitchen laminate up and get a whole (chipboard) board up? Or do you mean to drill a hole through the laminate and the chipboard so pipes can be routed through? The crawl space is big enough to fit through.

Thanks.
i dont know. i cant see it.
how would you get 2 pipes in there?
By REDSAW
tom p wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:59 am
Third photo from top - the kitchen has the small radiator with blue wallpaper:
https://ibb.co/nDmCcwb

how would you get 2 pipes in there?
> Couldn't you just drill through the laminate and chip board? I don't care about the laminate getting damaged.

Thanks.
thats what i am getting at, can the feed pipes pass under the wall, is it stud or brick? - i dont know!
if yes the bobs your dandy easy.

just noticed, the pipes go through wall, where do they lead?
By tom p
thats what i am getting at, can the feed pipes pass under the wall, is it stud or brick? - i dont know!
if yes the bobs your dandy easy.
> Oh ok. So it's a floating wall. I've attached two photos.
I used the blue to show camera perspective.

just noticed, the pipes go through wall, where do they lead?
> Please see the plan:
https://ibb.co/nDmCcwb the pipes are shown in red - so if you're referring to the lounge to bedroom 3, they go through the wall and then connect up with the radiator. And then from there they go up the wall.

Thanks

https://ibb.co/nPNZ9kQ
By REDSAW
No, i was refering to the 2 pics below. tells the whole story.

All the kitchen pipes can be ripped out, hole-saw in floor to accomodate 2 15mm pipes going under wall to lounge 1 rad.
this run can then be linked back to bedroom. so the kitchen rad will be last in the circuit with a draincock fitted.

Easy peasy day job, just the link back to boiler to be picked up under floor- hallway rad?

Also (if it were my property to keep) i would have an access flap in floor accomodating a low drain off to empty below floor piping.

it looks like rads have been removed and added at diferent stages & rooms altered!
By tom p
REDSAW wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 5:16 pm
No, i was refering to the 2 pics below. tells the whole story.

All the kitchen pipes can be ripped out, hole-saw in floor to accomodate 2 15mm pipes going under wall to lounge 1 rad.
this run can then be linked back to bedroom. so the kitchen rad will be last in the circuit with a draincock fitted.

Easy peasy day job, just the link back to boiler to be picked up under floor- hallway rad?

Also (if it were my property to keep) i would have an access flap in floor accomodating a low drain off to empty below floor piping.

it looks like rads have been removed and added at diferent stages & rooms altered!
Really appreciate help, thanks.

Yes it does seem the work was done in different stages. Not sure why. The radiators are of different years it looks.

Also thanks regarding advice on draining and access hatch.

- What sort of cost for this job do you think (ballpark)? Assuming no big surprises you haven't seen in pictures etc.
- Would you use PEX or copper, or mixture of both?

Thanks.
By REDSAW
how longs a string?
where is the property? whats its purpose etc
its at the point where i concider it D.I.Y able in plastic now, otherwise a day rate for someone.
By tom p
REDSAW wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:13 pm
how longs a string?
where is the property? whats its purpose etc
its at the point where i concider it D.I.Y able in plastic now, otherwise a day rate for someone.
Hi, thanks for your help.

My friends going to help me, he's plumbed his CH in his own house before.

I was just just trying with a plan for it. I've shown where the ground floor (chipboards) have been removed in pink.
I tried to make the joins over where it is relatively accessible for future use.

What do you think of this plan? I'm new to it, thanks.

By REDSAW
too much pipework, do it again with less.
measure the current drawing and do it shorter runs with less pipe

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]