UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
By PARENT
Water was gushing out of Aqualisa Aquarian shower mixer. Insurance guy could not find the isolation valve, so he knock down the wall, cut off the pipes and plugged them with stop end.
Was this right thing to do? Was there any need to break the wall? Should he have taken a simple precaution and followed : 1. Turn off the main stopcock 2. Expose the pipes by removing Aquarian shower mixer bar assembly. 3. Close the pipes with a stop end. 4. Turn on the mains stopcock.

Installation manual - https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/documents/ ... e9901t.pdf
By REDSAW
probably!
if it were the insurance guy then yes, whatever it required at the time.
personally i wouldnt be there to faf about getting wet through and risking property damage from water ingress as thats harder and more costly to deal with. a bit of plastering and tile work is cheaper.

you will have to foot the cut and cap pipe cost ie an hour plumber rate but insurance will cover remedial work.

i wasnt there so just an outset opinion to normal procedure, a profesional decision at the spur of the moment is the one your going to get the job done the quickest.

p.s. turning of stopcock wouldnt stop the hot supply.
By REDSAW
PARENT wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 10:27 pm
He did stop the mains before he broke the wall. But isn't opening shower mixer and plugging the open pipes quicker than breaking the wall an cutting the pipes?
dunno, but i estimate half hour getting to them and you need whatever fittings it may require.
getting to the pipes need access with no back bracket and enough space to cut pipes and stick on std speedfit caps.

dont get me wrong, i have seen some right wrecking jobs for the simplest of solutions. i went to one just before xmas- tiled bath panel smashed out and hot bath tap cut and capped> for a stuck tap washer!!!!!!

any pics?
By RPM
PARENT wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 7:37 pm
Water was gushing out of Aqualisa Aquarian shower mixer. Insurance guy could not find the isolation valve, so he knock down the wall, cut off the pipes and plugged them with stop end.
Was this right thing to do? Was there any need to break the wall? Should he have taken a simple precaution and followed : 1. Turn off the main stopcock 2. Expose the pipes by removing Aquarian shower mixer bar assembly. 3. Close the pipes with a stop end. 4. Turn on the mains stopcock.

Installation manual - https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/documents/ ... e9901t.pdf
Your first four words say`s a lot, water can cause a lot of damage very quickly then there is the time and cost to dry the property out afterwards however as said it is difficult to comment without actually being there at the time.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]