UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Want to get squeaky clean but something's wrong? Go ahead and ask away in here.
By AFF21.11
Hi I was hoping for some advice . I had a shower tray and new bathroom in a loft extension fitted in Feb this year and I noticed a long thin crack by the plug. This doesn't seem right for a household of 2 people to break so soon. We noticed some flex in the
tray when it was first fitted but fugured it was normal thinking now it wasn't and want to be able to speak in an informed way with our loft company. Any help would be really appreciated!
By REDSAW
it sounds like you have a light-weight poly tray.
it should be properly supported throughout its footprint by 18mm marine ply and a fixture/leveler of mortar (sometimes copiuos amount of silicone)
it has cracked because
1, not fitted properly
2, faulty tray
3, both
the tray is the thinest at the drain off.

i bet a tenner there is a square foot of nothing supporting at the plug hole and its a cheap shed tray!
in the proof part, i would drill small hole below and inspect with camera before going for fitter or supplier.
By Best
Welcome to the forum.
As above posts say, shower tray is probably not fitted properly and no warranty with manufacturer if that is proved.
There should be no flex between tray and floor, although some acrylic capped trays have some movement in the acrylic top part.
You need compensation from your loft company. The large cost is probably the labour to have to remove doors carefully and refit after new tray installed.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]