UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Put your Central Heating System question in here.
Hi folks, I'd like some opinions please. I have came across a certain home builder who has used chipboard as a platform to seat an unvented hot water cylinder. In this one example, the house is 4 years old, and has a 300 litre cylinder sitting on a platform with no joist or support under the cylinder itself. The home owner has had a leak (due to sludge in the system) which looks like it has went undetected for a while. The result is that the cylinder has started to sink in to the chipboard at one end.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=58
download/file.php?mode=view&id=59
download/file.php?mode=view&id=60
download/file.php?mode=view&id=61
I have advised the homeowner that the platform is not fit for purpose and should be replaced urgently. However the house builder is stating that the platform is built to "industry standard" and won't do anything about it.
Can I get some opinions on what everybody believes is industry standard and what would be considered a suitable material to use to support a 350kg (when full) water cylinder? Does anybody actually use or believe that chipboard would be considered suitable in this application?

Thanks
Attachments
chipboard.jpg
chipboard.jpg (225.43KiB)Viewed 5264 times
under cylinder 1.jpg
under cylinder 1.jpg (275.33KiB)Viewed 5264 times
under platform.jpg
under platform.jpg (343.83KiB)Viewed 5264 times
sinking cylinder2.jpg
Wtare Cylinder Sinkage
sinking cylinder2.jpg (251.75KiB)Viewed 5264 times
hi,
generally its krap bodgit builder quality!

this doc may help but states 'adequate support' ie to the weight bearing and plywood or solid board for cisterns may apply.
http://nhbccampaigns.co.uk/landingpages ... tework.htm

you also need the cylinder manufacturers manual and a call to them asking their requirements.

generally. the safety devices can fail if the cylinder moves so its unsafe install is it not?
Not strong enough due to no support directly below entire base of cylinder (judging by the photos I assume?).
Chipboard not ideal for any event of water spillage but otherwise would have held if supported enough underneath.
Basically a poor quality job, rather than completely wrong.
Extra timber frame needed and new plywood base.
Definitely look at MIs and contact unit manufacturer if you still want to chase builder.
I would worry about any floor-boarding on joist below the frame. The rest (frame stand) can be easily made good

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]