UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Put your Central Heating System question in here.
100 %
By Paul Dunning
We have a Glow Worm Ultracom2 35 that’s 2.5 years old. The pressure release valve on the exterior of the property is leaking and a damp patch on the wall is growing. I’ve taken the filling loop off but it isn’t leaking (haven’t observed it with the boiler working). The pressure is at 1.5 mbar. I’ve contacted a gas safe engineer and am waiting on his response. I’m interested to know what the problem might be. Anyone got any experience with this please?
By REDSAW
prv's are notorious to leak as their design is a safety valve to stop the boiler bursting.
it is therefore only designed to be effective once and when they open, the thin rubber within, can tear or get fouled with 'rust' from the system preventing effective seal.
the problem has stemed from incorrect servicing of the boiler as the expansion vessel has not been checked for helium pre-charge.
it is also common on this boiler that the flex pipe to ex-v has corrosion blocking it. this then builds pressure within the boiler and activates the prv, i doubt it noticable other than you have to continuosly top it up. this happens because water cannot compress and has only one route to escape- the prv.
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 10:13 pm
WOW
In all the years, I've never known you to say so much in one reply!
:lol:
my bad. i thought i was billing an extra 25% for invoice report £££ on top :lol: :lol:
By REDSAW
joni os wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 8:27 am
If you are losing water without showing loss of pressure , tap the pressure gauge to ensure needle not stuck.
either sender or exp pipe blocked with rust it be in boile dry mode :D
Im happy I finally signed up

Wow tons of awesome tips! Xevil

Shower Pump

It's possible that the pump installed may be overs[…]

Its a little block in a campsite, so sometimes all[…]

Washing Machine Tee 3/4" valve leaking

If the valve on your 3/4" washing machine tee[…]