UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
Got a job where I need to install a new radiator and need to join new 15mm copper to the existing 8mm copper pipes.
Wondering any suggestions of alternatives
Obviously I don't want to risk weeps and won't use compression below the floor, but my prefered soldering option would mean a full drain down.
Frankly the heating in the house is a mix of original copper work and plastic, so tempted to just join onto the 8mm with push fit, but soft copper 8mm will be misformed no doubt
Conex Cuprofit or similar on the copper will be at least as good as the push fits on plastic part of system. Would even be tempted to use compression.If good for kerosene on 8mm fuel line, should not cause failure on system already compromised with plastic fittings . If copper pipe deformed, shank of drill bit will true end for connection.
Last Plumber wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 1:29 pm
Can it be frozen?
I probably could keep the 8mm near where the old rad was and then pipe back to the new rad on new position the customer wants on other wall.
That would allow me to freeze the 8mm I guess. Haven't yet lifted floorboards.
Why? Where you thinking I could solder on to the 8mm then?
joni os wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 7:29 pm
Conex Cuprofit or similar on the copper will be at least as good as the push fits on plastic part of system. Would even be tempted to use compression.If good for kerosene on 8mm fuel line, should not cause failure on system already compromised with plastic fittings . If copper pipe deformed, shank of drill bit will true end for connection.
Was tempted to use compression, but 8mm will be below the lower floor floorboards and although probably just carpeted again (other hallways are topped with hardwood), it would be too risky and pipes could be disturbed if rad was ever worked on.
The Conex Cuprofit or similar, at least would withstand movement because of their rubber seals, so a possibility.
Drill bit method is a good idea for to form the 8mm.
The heating system is a mess and has been added to by Cowboy 'plumbers' working for builders, so I don't see the point anymore in doing it the hard way.
Best wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 10:34 pm
Last Plumber wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 1:29 pm
Can it be frozen?
I probably could keep the 8mm near where the old rad was and then pipe back to the new rad on new position the customer wants on other wall.
That would allow me to freeze the 8mm I guess. Haven't yet lifted floorboards.
Why? Where you thinking I could solder on to the 8mm then?
Yes. I was thinking of soldering it. It's a quick solder as you know. You'd get away with the aerosol type kit on that if you don't have a machine.

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]