UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By jonnyswamp
Will be made out to be some sort of hero/good guy by his mates on social media no doubt
Don't know if he was beaten to death or not?
Could have fell awkward while running away and banged his head
By joni os
My house was burgled in my absence. Two years later the same thief killed a lady who disturbed him in the course of another robbery. That thief was jailed for murder 2001 but with remission is no doubt out walking the streets. As a result I would feel threatened by any thief discovered on my property, and would advise others to feel the same.
By SimonG
If you find somebody in the house, I have my old cricket bat upstairs just in case, and you set about them. Drag them upstairs before you call the police. Downstairs you can get done for assault, upstairs they are a threat to your family and you can go to town.
By jonnyswamp
If you disturb a thief/burglar in your house/property you have (IMHO) 2 options
1, let them/him take whatever they want, don't confront them and hope they won't hurt you or your family
2, confront them and be prepared to be seriously hurt (or worse), or be prepared to seriously hurt them (or worse)
Thieves /burglars are usually vicious types, who will do anything to get away when cornered, much like a rat
Nearly 2 yrs ago our house was entered by a travelling type high on drugs while both my wife and one of my daughters were home, he got in through an unlocked door looking for a key to our car that was on the drive to get away from "people" that were after him (this is what he told the police when caught)
First thing he did was pick up a 8/9 inch serrated bread knife off the draining board before rifling through drawers etc looking for the key, all while my daughter was in the living room frozen with fear thinking the worse (she was 17 at the time)
He didn't speak or actually threaten anyone, just left when he found the car key and drove off
I got home about 5/10 mins later and thankfully all were well, but very shaken up
Had I not stopped off on my way home, I would have been there when this piece of sh1t came in my house
I've had plenty of time to think what I would have done in hindsight and I still don't know for definite, but if either my wife or daughter were threatened in my presence then me or him would be doing time for manslaughter
That I do know
Incidently, he got 26 weeks in prison with a small fine (probably out in less than half that)
I got hassle getting my car repaired, a £600 excess bill and a hike in my ins premiums even though I had protected full no claims
By joni os
The old adage:-" If you want to win a battle give the enemy a chance to escape", is relevant in these cases. I would not block an entrance or pursue a thief down the road but whilst on my property:- Any means and any weapon. Until convinced threat has disappeared. Those who serve on jury, should ensure no householder is convicted for defending family,home and property.
Irrespective of advice to the contrary from legal minds who have never faced similar threats.

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]