UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By alamnac
Hello All,

I own a 3rd floor flat built in 2003. It has a gas central heating and hot water system. The system was classified as 'At Risk' in September and I've been trying in vain since then to work out what to do with it.

The boiler was marked as at risk due to it having some interior corrosion, the flue being incorrectly supported, and the engineer not being able to see the entire flue. The boiler is now obsolete and there aren't any spare parts available (or so I've been told), therefore it can't be repaired. I've also been told that I might need a new flue, which would require scaffolding to street level. He wouldn't even give me a quote for the work as he said he wouldn't be able to do it.

I've also been told that I can't have a new boiler installed as the gas supply pipe to the flat is only 15mm in diameter.

One of the engineers I've spoken to has recommended an electric combi heating system, however I'm wary of installing one of these as they are super expensive to run and, from experience, result in many cold showers. However, it's increasingly appearing that I have little choice. I think I'd rather sell the flat than have to live with one of these.

At present the boiler is switched off , and I switch it on for a hot shower in the morning but other than that it's not in use - ideally I'd like to have some sort of heating sorted before December when winter properly starts to bite.

Is there anything that I can do or am I completely stuffed?

Thank you!
By REDSAW
unfortunately, the engineer has called 3 strikes and its out. what boiler is it and was it british gas who said that by any chance?

corrosion
failure to inspect flue
incorrectly supported (AT Risk) on its own.

you will need 22mm feed to new boiler anyway.

i could give you a solution that i did with one of my 3rd floor flats.........how many bedrooms?

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]